Betsy Louda
The Swamp is powered by Vocal creators. You support Betsy Louda by reading, sharing and tipping stories... more

The Swamp is powered by Vocal.
Vocal is a platform that provides storytelling tools and engaged communities for writers, musicians, filmmakers, podcasters, and other creators to get discovered and fund their creativity.

How does Vocal work?
Creators share their stories on Vocal’s communities. In return, creators earn money when they are tipped and when their stories are read.

How do I join Vocal?
Vocal welcomes creators of all shapes and sizes. Join for free and start creating.

To learn more about Vocal, visit our resources.

Show less

Dear Theresa...

Are you all talk?

Everybody remembers the day you were sworn in as Britain's second-ever female Prime Minister. I'd like to dive a little deeper into a powerful promise you gave on that very day, on the steps of 10 Downing Street. You proclaimed,

"As we leave the European Union, we will forge a bold new positive role for ourselves in the world, and we will make Britain a country that works not for a privileged few, but for every one of us. That will be the mission of the government I lead, and together we will build a better Britain."

It's now over a year later, and that statement is aging like a fine wine. Let's break it down a little bit.

"We will forge a bold new positive role for ourselves in the world..."

The rest of the world is still waiting. While you supported the vote to leave the European Union (something most of the world viewed as very negative to begin with), you still promised to change the way others viewed Great Britain. Well, looks like you've still got some work to do to come through on that promise. The United Nations association came up with a scorecard for Great Britain's global view. You may want to sit down for the results. According to them, only 2 out of 7 issues (about 28%) relevant for an improved world view got the "positive example to other countries" rating. The other 72% is a mix between confusion on whether your actions are positive or negative, along with blatant undermining of the international rules-based system. Don't believe me? Read the full report, here. Beyond the hard numbers, morale has been lower than ever, and the majority of Great Britain-ers feel you are handing Brexit all wrong. According to a poll from earlier this year, 60% of citizens feel you're botching the negotiations. You're entering Donald Trump territory... get your act together!

"...we will make Britain a country that works not for a privileged few, but for every one of us..."

This one's ironic. It's no surprise that Prime Minister May wanted to appeal to the middle class voters, so that they would get her in office instead of voting for the Labour party. Well, shockingly, that backfired for them. In May of this year, the Prime Minister announced that middle-class pensioners were going to lose their benefits because of a new initiative to fund social care. To add insult to injury, part of the plan involves charging the 870,000 people who receive home care that have never had to pay before. Anybody with assets totaling more than 100,000 pounds will have to pay. 

"...together we will build a better Britain."

Just over a year later, and I'm not so sure of this, anymore. Actually, neither is Nigel Farage, former leader of the UK Independence party, along with a highly visible political analyst. A few weeks ago, he warned that if you don't get some direction back into your party, as well at get your EU negotiations back on track, you'll be out of a job by Christmas. Yes, you read that right. Theresa, the momentum of Brexit may have helped your political career, but it's not the only thing that your party and vision should represent. Britain, like all other countries, has its own serious problems, and if you put them on the back-burner, it will not turn out well for you.

Theresa, I'm not breaking this all down for you to be rude, or to tell you how to do your job. It's really just reasoning for my initial question: are you all talk? The powerful speech you gave on your office steps on Downing Street moved many citizens of your country. However, actions speak louder than words. My advice to you is to get your party's priorities in check, all while keeping your word on making Great Britain a better place to be. Otherwise, you should start buying your Christmas gifts while you still have a salary.  

Now Reading
Dear Theresa...
Read Next
Is Trump Evil?